11.13.2010

the shorter story



Some people like to go to haunted houses and watch scary movies and let their imaginations run wild to feel that thrill of utter horror and fright.

But I've never been like that.

I'm the one who watches sad movies when I'm happy.
And listens to rainy day music when it's bright and sunny.
And cries not only in movies but at the end of really good books.
Whose idea of a perfect Saturday morning is curling up in a blanket with a mug of hot cocoa and watching something like "The Way We Were."

Because there is something about that heartbreaking, purely human rush of delicious melancholy that gets me every time.

2 comments:

Mim said...

I love this song too, it gets me every time.. i also like the word melancholy :)

amanda said...

I would have to agree. I also cry at the end of books. jhumpi lahiri (sp?) is magnificent at pure human heartbreak.