9.10.2009

There is no confusion like the confusion of a simple mind*



Love-to-be:

I want you to disagree with me, sometimes.
Not all of the time, because that would be annoying.
But if you never have an opinion of your own, that's kind of bothersome.
It's okay to tell me that you like the other shirt better. It's okay to say you prefer Italian over Chinese food. It's okay to enlighten me on a subject you know more about; in fact, please do.

And I need you to "wear the pants," as they say.
I don't want them.
I've never been that girl.
I've always been the easygoing, it's-okay-if-we-do-it-your-way-this-time kind of girl.

Actually, I won't be surprised if your strong opinions and confidence (note: confidence, not arrogance) is one of the first things that attracts me to you. The way that you'll kiss me without asking. The easy and natural silences we'll have, coupled with the passionate discussions about life and all that matters to us. The way you'll show respect to everyone, not just me.

I hope this doesn't seem like too large a request, or too tricky a balance to find: between confidence and consideration of others.

My reasoning is this: I have the feeling I'm an "opposites attract" kind of girl. I'll need to feed off of your confidence, every now and then, because mine has never been too stable.

image via google images

*I do hope you've read The Great Gatsby, and that you understand that being suave is never out of style. Also, you could be Tom, but I will never be Daisy. Ever.

5 comments:

Jayne said...

Omg, Laura, I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this! This perfectly encapsulates everything I feel! :) So so so so beautifully said!

amanda said...

I love when you write these! so cute!

Katya said...

so good!!! and i love the photo. and the great gatsby :)

Nicole said...

gorgeous!

meg fee said...

yes, no Daisys here!! i love, love, love...that you want him to kiss you without asking. along with just about every other inch of this. yes, i want to be taken care of too, i totally understand!